For the last quarter of 2020, Sony sold 4.5 million PlayStation 5 – The same result was shown by the PlayStation 4 in the first three months of sales (PS5 only slightly surpassed PS4, which allows us to speak about the best result in history). Total PS4 sales reached 115.1 million, up 1.4 million units in the quarter.
General financial indicators
- Sony’s three-month revenue was approximately $ 25.7 billion in Japanese yen (up 9% from the same quarter in 2019), operating income of $ 3.42 billion (up 20%), and net income – $ 3.54 billion (up 62%).
- The best result among Sony divisions was, as expected, shown by the PlayStation, and the second and third places were taken by consumer electronics Electronics Products & Solutions (EP&S) and financial services, respectively. Sony Pictures was in third place from the bottom.
- For all of 2020, PlayStation’s revenue was $ 22.7 billion – a new record not only for Sony but for the entire industry. The division’s operating income topped $ 3 billion ($ 3.4 billion) for the first time, the previous record ($ 2.4 billion) since fiscal 2018.
- We talked about console sales initially, so let’s duplicate: PS4 shipments for the period from October to December amounted to 1.4 million units. The total number of shipments of the outgoing generation consoles reached 115.1 million. PS5 sales amounted to 4.5 million – due to the pandemic, the supply of new consoles at the start was limited, and it is not yet clear when they will be available for sale.
- PS5 sells negative – retail price is lower than the cost of manufacturing the device.
Sony Gaming Sales
- Half of the company’s revenue comes from digital sales on PSN, while hardware sales are only 23%.
- PSN sales continue to skyrocket (chart above).
- Software sales reached 103.7 million copies. The “digital” accounted for 53% of sales against 50% a year earlier.
- The number of PS Plus subscribers reached 47.4 million: at the end of September, there were 45.9 million, and a year ago – 38.8 million.
- The company noted good sales of Spider-Man Miles Morales – at the end of December, they reached 4.1 million copies, and by the end of March, the company expects to sell at least 3 million more copies.
- Sony expects that by the end of fiscal 2021 (it will end for the Japanese on March 31, 2021), the PlayStation’s revenue will break its own absolute record and become the largest in the history of the industry among all platform holders.
Earlier, quarterly reports were shared by Microsoft and Nintendo. Both companies ended the quarter with record highs: Microsoft – Xbox Gaming surpassed $ 5 billion in revenue for the first time amid robust demand for Xbox Series X | S (they won’t be commercially available until the summer) and total Switch sales nearly 80 million, surpassing the all-time Nintendo 3DS circulation (75.94 million units).