October 19 online cinema Netflix published Report for the third quarter of the fiscal year 2021, which ended on September 30.
- Netflix attracted 4.38 million paid subscribers in the quarter – above the forecast (3.5 million) and double the result for the same period in 2020 (2.2 million)
- In total, Netflix has 213.6 million subscribers worldwide at the end of September, which is the best result (no other streaming service has so many). Disney + came closest to Netflix with its base in 174 million subscribers (total result of Disney +, ESPN + and Hulu), excluding Amazon Prime Video with its 200 million.
- Quarterly revenue was $ 7.48 billion (an increase of 16% in annual terms), operating income – $ 1.755 billion (versus $ 1.315 billion last year), and net income – $ 1.449 billion or $ 3.19 per share versus $ 790 million or $ 1 , 74 per share a year earlier.
- The international success of the acclaimed Squid Game, released on September 17, had a significant impact on the results of the past quarter. Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos noted that 142 million households watched the show in September (calculated, as usual, on a “two-minute” metric). At the same time, co-founder and head of the company Reed Hastings at a meeting with investors via video link appeared in a green jumpsuit (the clothes of the participants in the survival games from the series).
Netflix expects to receive nearly $ 900 million from The Squid Game – 40 times more than the show’s production budget
Show and movie statistics
In the report, Netflix duplicated the exact statistics of its most popular films and TV shows – by the number of accounts and the total hours watched. It was originally unveiled at the September Code 2021 conference.
- By the end of 2021, Netflix will switch to a new system for evaluating the popularity of projects and, instead of households, the online cinema will indicate the total viewing time in hours for the first 28 days from release.
- Separately, the report mentions that during the recent Facebook crash, Netflix user engagement jumped 14%.
- Cash flow from operating activities amounted to $ 106 million versus $ 1.1 billion a year earlier. Last year, production almost stopped due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and now the company is actively increasing the release of new content.
- In the last quarter of 2021, Netflix expects to add another 8.5 million subscribers (exactly the same number as a year earlier).
- As of September 30, 2021, the company had $ 7.53 billion in cash and cash equivalents against $ 8.21 billion as of December 31, 2020.
In late September, Netflix hosted a three-hour Tudum event that showed dozens of future projects, including the sequel to The Witcher and Stranger Things. On October 1, Netflix launched a Ukrainian-language version, but without payment in hryvnia – prices in euros continue to apply to Ukrainians.