WELCOME TO TECHOBIG!
You’ll find a vibrant and growing community of smart, enthusiastic people at TECHOBIG. Our goal is to foster conversations that are helpful, informative, and fun. We very much would like you to help us do just that, so here are some guidelines for how to participate.
THE SHORT VERSION
- We’re so glad you’re here! We hope you will help create great conversations in our community.
- Do politely ask us questions and let us know what you like and don’t like about a specific article or video, or the ideas we talk about in it.
- Don’t be a jerk, call people jerks, or react to jerks. We’ll remove bad stuff when we see it.
- Respect and help the moderators. It’s a small team of dedicated, caring humans working hard to make things better.
RULES OF THE ROAD
Here are things that will get your comment or forum post removed and quite possibly get you banned. Note that this is not a comprehensive list. Our moderators reserve the right to remove anything we deem inappropriate.
- Spam: Zero tolerance, of course! If it comes from a human or a robot, spam will be deleted. This includes self-promotion. Generally speaking, promoting your projects here will be treated like any other spam.
- Personal attacks: Don’t attack or insult another user. It’s not helpful, and it doesn’t make TECHOBIG a friendly place. This includes calling other members trolls.
- Doxxing: Don’t reveal someone else’s personal information.
- Illegal activities: Posting links to illegal downloads, ways to steal service, and other nefarious activity is not OK here.
- NSFW material: Nope, not allowed. Even images or links that could be considered borderline are not acceptable. A good rule of thumb is that anything beyond PG-13 will get you in trouble, but we reserve the right to remove any post we deem offensive. This goes for pornographic material, vile language, gore and generally gross stuff.
- Racism, sexism, and other discrimination: Attacking entire classes of people is just like attacking a single person: we’ll ban you for it.
- Trolling: ”Trolling” is a big, messy term, but we know what trolls are and we won’t tolerate it. If you’re abusing the good conversations here at TECHOBIG, we will take your comments and posts down. This includes taking a thread off-topic, by the way.
- Spreading misinformation: We are not a platform for spreading conspiracy theories and misinformation, and will remove posts promoting obvious falsehoods.
- Complaining about coverage: We cover a wide array of topics, not all of which are easy, comfortable, or reflective of your personal views. This applies doubly to review scores. While we’re not against discussions of our coverage, plainly stated accusations of bias are usually an indication that you’re not trying to be a productive member of the community.
- Commenting on someone’s physical appearance, voice, or style: Let’s keep discussion to the content, please. Even if you’re writing what you consider a compliment, it will be removed.
- Multiple accounts and throwaway emails: We don’t allow multiple accounts per user. Using a disposable email address signals to us that you might not be here for the right reasons. You also may not create accounts designed to impersonate another person.
- Cross posting: Don’t make duplicate posts across different forums — it clogs things up and fractures the conversation.
Above all, our team of moderators works to keep conversation here friendly, engaging, helpful, and productive. If we feel a comment or forum post is harming that endeavor, we’ll take action.
See any of the above? You can help us out by flagging (more on that below). Any comments that reply to spammy/inappropriate/trolling comments will also be deleted with the original comment, so don’t reply — just flag!
ISN’T THIS CENSORSHIP?
Well, no, and yes. We’re trying to foster great conversation, and we will remove comments that harm that endeavor. You’re free to say whatever you like in other places, but not here. At TECHOBIG, we have a different standard than the rest of the internet, working very hard to keep the conversation informative and fun. The bottom line is that the editors and moderators have the final say of whether it fits our community guidelines.
HOW TO POST AND COMMENT
There are three ways to interact on TECHOBIG. Here are the basics, but there’s much more information down below.
- Post a comment: We love comments, and simply by registering, you can comment on any story on TECHOBIG. Comments are organized into collapsable threads to make it easy to follow a conversation. There are also some really great keyboard shortcuts on comments — they’re listed on the comments area’s right. If you realize you’ve made a typo, you’ll have 90 seconds to edit your comment before it’s set in stone.
- Get in touch: Have a news tip? Want to contact the moderators? See a bug? You can do all of that right here.
- Questions about moderation: We’re happy to have a discussion with you about it — in private. We’ve found from long and hard experience that public complaints about moderation lead to people trying to “game” the system. If you question moderation, hit us up on our contact form, and we’ll talk. If there’s a big policy change or something we would like to say publicly about moderation, we’ll post it in our Meta forums and update this document.
- Helping out our moderators: Moderators work very, very hard with your best interests at heart. Please help them out by flagging inappropriate comments and take heed when they ask you to change your behavior. Note that most of our moderators are volunteers, freely dedicating their time to help make things better. They don’t speak for the site but still deserve your gratitude.
- Becoming a mod: We don’t have an application process. We select from our community’s best members. If you want to be a mod, our advice to you is to be awesome: help users when they have questions, flag inappropriate comments with good explanations of why help users relax when threads start to look like flamewars, and generally show us that you’re a helpful and real human being. When the time comes, we may tap you on the shoulder and ask if you’re interested.
Comments are a lovely way to talk about the stories, forum posts, and reviews you find on TECHOBIG. They can also be a lot to keep up with, so we have some tools to make it all easier. You can preview your comment before you post it, and you will have 90 seconds to edit a comment afterward. Every comment also has a few links associated with it:
- Reply: Use this to reply to that specific comment. Your reply will be threaded to that comment.
- Recommend: We love great comments. We know you do too. Click the “Recommend” link to vote up a comment and see it get more love and affection from the site.
- Flag: This is the link you use to report a post to the moderators. Use it on spam, on personal attacks, or racist or sexist language. Please do not use it to report stuff you disagree with or to hassle users. Our moderators work really hard; please help them help you!
It’s important to know that comments are threaded, and if the top comment in a thread is a problem, we may delete it, and that will delete all the replies to it. So if there’s an inappropriate comment and you reply to it with something eloquent and heartfelt, there’s a perfect chance that your brilliant and meaningful comment will nonetheless be lost.