1st place in the category “Travel”: Tatiana Merzlyakova’s photo “Magic of the Northern Lights.”
The winners of the competition have become known today as iPhone Photography Awards 2021 (IPPAWARDS). This is an independent award that recognizes the best pictures taken by talented iPhone photographers worldwide every year.
This year, representatives of 17 countries, from Romania to Bangladesh, became laureates of the award. The winning images were selected from thousands of images submitted by iPhone photographers in over 140 countries. All these photos reflect the power of places and people and help to experience completely different emotions, regardless of what is captured on them, be it an unusual structure in a big city, a single flower, or shepherds with animals in a dank wilderness.
Tatiana Merzlyakova from Moscow is the winner in the Travel category with a photo of the northern lights taken in Teriberka, Murmansk Oblast, on an iPhone 12 Pro Max in February 2021.
Tatiana shared the story of this shot:
– We went on a spontaneous trip to the Kola Peninsula last winter, for three nights. We specially went there hoping to see the northern lights. I have installed an application on my iPhone Aurora, which helps to understand by what percentage there is a chance to see it. For our dates, the scale showed 2 out of 5. We went to a local small restaurant, there was no particular hope, when suddenly the company nearby screamed and ran out into the street. I leave the restaurant, and there is my friend in a space suit. I say: “Stand on this bench and freeze!” Thus, I matched the scale and it turned out to be just space. True, it was -27 ° C and high humidity. Even with gloves on, it is difficult to turn on the camera in such conditions. This photo is without retouching, only the exposure is corrected by the built-in Camera tools in the iPhone. If you have not been to Teriberka, I highly recommend this place of incredible beauty!
2021 winning photographers
- Photographer of the Year, Grand Prix Winner: Photojournalist Istvan Kerekesh from Romania for the photo “Transylvanian Shepherds” (shot with iPhone 7)
- 1st place in the nomination “Photographer of the Year”: Sharan Shetty from India for the photo “Communication”, where a man and his horse alone in the steppe comfort each other (shot on iPhone X)
- 2nd place in the nomination “Photographer of the Year”: Dan Liu from China for an unnamed photo of an astronaut crossing a desert resembling Mars (captured with iPhone 11 Pro Max)
- 3rd place in the nomination “Photographer of the Year”: Jeff Rainer from USA for Walking in the Air, which shows a girl floating in the air above the sidewalk in the sunlight (captured on iPhone X)